10 Tips for Getting Press Coverage
One of the best ways of making people aware of your activities is through PR. It’s cost-effective and it can really create a buzz and get your name out there in the market. Here are a few tips on how to get it right:
- Know what media your audience / readers refer to for information and target those outlets.
- Get to know the types of stories your target media are interested in using.
- Research which journalists cover which stories. Sending information to the right person means it’s more likely to be used.
- Tell readers something that will interest them or that they might need to know.
- Make sure your message is clear, concise and has an objective: what do you want your audience to do?
- Develop a relationship with the key media you are targeting.
- Follow up your story with the journalists you’ve sent it to. It’s the most important factor in a successful PR campaign.
- Think in pictures. Journalists love good-quality images so if your story needs a photo, make sure you provide them with a high-impact picture.
- Ask everyone in your organisation to suggest ideas for PR stories.
- When you generate good PR, make sure people in your organisation know about it – circulate coverage so everyone can share in the success.